46th issue now available
Water Alternatives' 46th issue (Vol. 16 Issue 2) is now available.Each year, we provide over 700,000 free downloads of our published papers, along with an equivalent number on personal and other websites.. You can access our latest issue and PDFs of individual articles, here.
|Access latest issue|
Call for papers: The Politics of Water Quantification
Water Alternatives is supporting the development of a water&society community on Mastodon
Water Alternatives is supporting the development of a community of practice on Mastodon!
Are you a scholar, activist, professional interested in @water_and_society issues? Join the community of practice in just one minute!
1. Open an account at https://sciences.social/explore , or any Mastodon server
2. Register to the "water_and_society" community at https://a.gup.pe/u/water_and_society
Include @water_and_society in your messages and they will reach and be read by ALL members, and vice versa, unlike in Twitter, where one never really knows who sees what. Once on Mastodon, to find and follow someone, type the name (for example 'Water Alternatives') and click the 'follow' icon.
Contribute to the new Water Dissensus Forum
Water Alternatives is now running the Water Dissensus Forum. This Forum is intended to provide space for critical debates and discussions about water issues. Existing dissensus, or antagonistic values and points of view, can be turned into a learning opportunity for the benefit of all and give way to reasoned debates that have the potential both to further understanding of complex water issues and to generate new ideas.
Water Alternatives Map
See Water Alternatives’ case studies using this interactive map.
View WaA case studies in a larger map
The Water Alternatives Photo Library
Water Alternatives Collaborative Photo Library has now reached a total of 6000 photos available under Creative Commons. Explore our global water world in twenty albums and our new exciting section titled 'Astonishing water' (one new photo is added each week).
|Access the photo library|
Water Alternatives is also on Facebook
Join the Water Alternatives community on Facebook!
Readers can receive tables of contents (three times per year), calls for papers, new forum posts and other news through Facebook notifications.
To ensure that Water Alternatives news appears on at the top of your Facebook feed, go to “follow settings,” and click “favorites".
Join the Water Alternatives Network
Water Alternatives is a free-access journal. By registering you will make sure you receive alerts each time a new issue is published as well as calls for papers and occasional announcements: click here to register and join the Water Alternatives network . Registration takes 30 sec and is burdenless
WaA Abstracts Word Cloud
Why this journal?
WaA is an interdisciplinary journal addressing the full range of issues that water raises in contemporary societies. Its ambition is to provide space for alternative and critical thinking on such issues (see our manifesto for more details).
WaA welcomes contributions that address any dimension of water resources development, governance, policy, management and use in their relations with society and the environment. Our editorial scope is focused on the analysis of institutional or policy issues and processes. We do not publish technical papers. Subject coverage includes (but is not limited to):
- Water policy at global and national levels
- Water governance and water reforms
- The politics of everyday water management (irrigation, watershed, etc.)
- Water knowledge systems, concepts and discourses
- Water and economics
- The politics of water provision and use
- Water, environment and society
- Water, technology and society
- Water, globalization and geopolitics
- Water, power and social divisions: gender, class, ethnicity
WaA offers four distinct rubrics:
- Scholarly articles (Articles)
- Short articles that are not academic in scope and may reflect some opinion (Viewpoints)
- Book reviews (Reviews) [now moved to a dedicated webpage]
- Responses to earlier articles (Responses).
As a worldwide high-quality peer-reviewed eJournal, WaA offers the following advantages:
- No submission fee.
- Full and free access to articles, ensuring worldwide outreach and intellectual multiplier effect.
- Reduced time interval between acceptance of articles and their publication online: the time lag between final approval of articles and publication generally does not exceed 2 months. Articles are made available unde the 'Issue in progress' section before their official publication in the forthcoming issue.